RSS Feed

“Little Nut Hut”

We picked this up at a local antique store and thought it would look perfect in our bar. This piece was manufactured in 1955 by the Braun Manufacturing Company. The unit had seen a fair amount of use. It was rusty and I found a thousand year old cashew stuck at the bottom :). Being that this is a unit people are going to eat out of I had to sterilize the heck out of it. The cabinet required the usual prep (sanding, primer, etc.). Though I lost the “Hot” sticker that was on the original, I still think it looks great.

This unit uses heating elements in the base to warm the nuts (my heating elements are missing).  These were usually on the counter of merchants like gas stations and deli’s, not necessarily bars. It’s funny that the unit indicates cost per hand full because there is no coin mechanism. I assume patrons paid the merchant directly before taking their “hand full” of warm salty nuts. I am sure this will see a lot of use in our bar.

Click Image to Enlarge

About these ads

22 responses »

1. “Hepcat”?!?! Where did you even learn that word? GREAT job on the Nut Hut! You two are just THE coolest cats – waaay too hip to hop! ;- ) GREAT site – keep it comin! ((HUGS))
    ~Vickie~

2. I heard it some where, can’t remember. Thought it was cool though. Its been a blast posting on here and sharing my point of view. I hope everyone enjoys it.

3. do you sell parts for “little nut huts”?

4. Question…If you’d please be so kind.

I’m trying to fix one for the American Legion hall by my house. Wasn’t working when I was asked to look at it. The sliders were not working properly, and the bottom of the unit was packed with nuts. If I give you my email address, is there any way you could possibly take a picture of the slider mechanism? I’m having a hard time trying to find any support, or info on replacement parts due to it’s age. Seems so simple, but I’ve run into a wall. I’m thinking someone monkeyed w/ it over the years, put it together incorrectly, and has left me scratching my head.

Please let me know, and many thanks.

5. Just purchased a “Little Nut Hut” on ebay…they said it “works” but, when I was cleaning it his weekend & noticed that when you slide the bar out to bring the nuts forward, the rest of the nuts would just fall through to the back of the machine. There is a little hinged flap that looks like it is in the wrong position but I wonder what the right position is? HELP! My boyfriend now believes I’m an idiot. :)

6. The little light bulb does not heat the NUTS! there are heaters below the hopper that stores the product. Too many people install bigger bulbs at the top, which eventually damages the red roof.

• Thanks thats good to know.

• Do you know if there are heating coils available–or a suitable substitute?
        I have aquired a nice Nut Hut, but the heating coils have been removed.
        Thanks

• Rodney: I have 2 nut huts, both have heating coils under metal storage area where nuts lay. There is a coil for each side. The light is not to heat the nuts. Try buying another from ebay and use for parts. These were made in the 1955 era, so parts are probably not available unless you get real lucky. Good lucky Rodney. Tim

• You are exactly rught, I have one I restored there are electric coils under the metal storage part.

7. Would anyone have the red top to this little red nut hut? Mine is damaged and would like to purchase the top, please e-mail me directly beuregard@hotmail.com if you have one you or anyone would like to sell. Thanks

8. I just scored one of these very machines at a local little consignment shop, all parts are present (with the exception of the signs) and in perfect working order, heating elements and all. Anyone know where I can score any of the original signs for the machine? I’d like to keep it all original before I restore or possibly sell. There is surprisingly little on the internet about this machine. All I know is that is circa 1955 Braun Mfg. Anyone know what a possible value on this machine might be?

9. Does anyone know where to buy one of these? My uncle had one when I was younger and it brings back fond memories. I would love one for my basement.

Thanks!