That’s right, if you didn’t get a chance to catch this film in theaters the last time then this is your opportunity. It plays again on Thursday April 26th. It was a really cool experience seeing it on the silver screen. The story is timeless and entertaining. You don’t have to even like classic films to like this one. Make it a point to go and see it. More Info.
Daily Archives: April 16, 2012
I drove way down to Los Banos California to pick this unit up. You might remember in an earlier post that I blogged about our other Telefunken unit. It is similar to this one but has a few different features. I am such a big fan of anything made by Telefunken. I was advised by Luis (owner of Stereoadvisor) that “Telefunken is one of the best stereos to own”, since he repairs stereos for a living that was all the convincing I needed. Anyways, I drove down to meet Steve the seller of the Telefunken and after a small demonstration of its operation and the bugs it needed to have worked out I decided to get it. It had some water damage to the top of it but that is a usual problem for these.
The first thing I did was sand the piece down. You must remember when refinishing one of these units they only have a thin veneer surface so you can’t use a real abrasive sandpaper. I use a 100 grit sandpaper to remove old finish and then I use a 120 to smooth out the surface (remember that the smaller the number the more abrasive the sandpaper is).
Once the finish was removed and the surface smooth I then used Minwax Gunstock stain to re-stain the top. I only had to put two coats on it to achieve a finish similar to the original. Once the stain had dried I then sprayed the top with a semi-gloss polyurethane to help protect the finish.
In our attempt to acquire every Carlo of Hollywood watercolor on the face of the Earth we came across these two smaller ballerina pieces. I really liked the tealish green around the upper edge of the art work and it gave me an idea on refinishing the frame.
One of the frames had separated at the seams. The first step was to get some wood glue and put tape on the underside of the seam and fill the gap with glue and let sit overnight.