Mel and I picked these up at an antique store in Chico. I have never seen a set this large. Usually you find them with only 8-10 spice jars. The jars are made of jadeite and are in great shape except for the lids. The paint was missing or peeling off. This set came with the holder that was well-worn. I decided to re-finish the set. I started off by sanding the wooden holder to even out the finish. I then stained it with a light stain and let it dry overnight. I then sprayed on s semi-glosss polyurethane and let it dry. Then I used car wax and “0000” steel wool to remove any grit from the surface. It turned out great!
Then I turned my attention to the lids on the spice jars. The lids had small dents from years of use and I decided to leave them to add some personality. I light sanded the lids to start things off. Then I applied spray on enamel paint from rust-olum. The color that best matched the old color on the lids was “Lobster Red“. I am satisfied with the finished product.
This is the final product. I am very happy with it and it will serve me well in the kitchen.