RSS Feed

Vintage New Moon Trailers

ILL

I was sitting around the other day thinking of one of my favorite movies “The Long, Long Trailer” starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez. They actually manufactured a model specifically to commemorate the movie.

LLT7

When the movie was released in 1953 they actually took it to theaters to help launch the film. The camper that was used was a 36 foot long 1953 Redman’s New Moon mobile home. In 1954 they released the “I Love Lucy” model because of the great success of the MGM film release.

LLT2

‘The Long, Long Trailer’ became MGM’s best grossing comedy up to that point and transformed Redman overnight from a small regional outfit (building one or two trailers a day) into one of the nation’s largest mobile home manufacturers (with five or six factories, producing hundreds each day).

LLT3

LLT5

This movie is too funny! The best part in my opinion is when Desi has the nightmare about the trailer brakes, too funny!

LLY8

LLT6

Look at those curtains!

History of New Moon Trailers

The company began in 1930, when, with no previous training in the field, Harold and William Redman, along with engineer Al Hathaway, designed and produced the first Redman trailer coach.

In 1937 the group incorporated the business as the Redman Trailer Company and established their first manufacturing plant in an Alma, Michigan, pickle factory. Initially, eight men on two production lines produced four to five trailers weekly. In the 1940s sales increased when the firm developed a significantly longer trailer than others in the industry.

LLT4

NMT4

During World War II Redman received government contracts to construct military equipment and housing, ammunition trailers, and hospital units, though the government eventually curtailed trailer home manufacture due to shortages of steel, copper, aluminum, and rubber.

NMT

Growth resumed after the war, as Redman and others responded to the housing shortage caused by soldiers returning from war. In 1953, when the company took the name New Moon Homes in response to the success of its New Moon brand units, it also began to advertise nationally in major magazines, replacing the concept of trailers with the new idea of mobile homes.

NM2

Redman Homes, also known as the Redman Trailer Company, New Moon Homes, and Redman Industries, a multi-divisional corporation with headquarters in Dallas, is the second largest builder of manufactured housing in the United States. The company also produces and distributes aluminum and wood building components nationwide.
I am amazed that with the large number of these units produced that there are not more of them around. I searched all over the internet and have only found two or three, so I guess there are not many survivors. Here is one I found in NY, it is a 1954 or 1955 New Moon,
LLT9
The owners of this fine trailer have kept the colors the same as the one in the movie, FANTASTIC!
LLT10
The inside is very clean. I would like to see more retro furnishings but everyone has their own style.
LLT11
Kitchen looks great! I wonder if that is the original flooring?
LLT12
Overall what a great piece of history to own!
Source:

56 responses »

1. That just blows me away that they could pull that trailer with a regular family sedan. Nowadays you’d see that behind an F-350 diesel with a 5th wheel…

• It had a 3rd wheel which you can see above on the tung so there was no weight on the back of the bumper. I am sure that car had a big engine the biggest offered for that model. Like a 312-cu.in. V-8.

• But the family sedan probably
      had a larger engine than most of today’s trucks. LOL
      Oh and gas was .18 cents a gallon!

• Did the gentleman living in Lakeland FL ever sell his New Moon Trailer?
        I live in Tampa FL and would be very much interested in it.

• Thank YOU for the wonderful history and detail you have shared! I just purchased a 1958 Mercury and am having a hard time finding any history or literature…YOu did a fabulous job researching! Any tips or suggestions for gathering info?

Thanks Again! Truly enjoyed this and appreciate your efforts!

• Sorry this isn’t a reply. I don’t know how to post question. Does anyone know location of the original trailer.used in the movie. My sister is traveling. currently in Bisbee, AZ because someone in Texas told her it was in the museum there. The employees at the museum have no knowledge. thanks, Sue

• Sue, I seem to recall we had a discussion in a Facebook group dedicated to vintage trailers about the New Moon from the movie and I believe it may still be in CA, though I could be wrong. I can only imagine what kind of condition it would be in after 60+ years.

2. I own a 1952 New Moon and love it. We have camped in it for 31 years.

• I envy you! I wish I was lucky enough to own a vintage camper of that caliber.

• I have a 1950 New Moon that has been stored inside our home. It has been kept from the elements since 1974. I wish I could keep it but I need to pull it out & sell it since my wife is disabled & has multiple surgeries & can’t live in half a home. It can be viewed on CL in Lakeland, FL & I am taking a loss on price due to her situation. All info is verifiable & it has a clear FL title.

3. I was born in July of 48. My parents had a 28 footer and when my mom was pregnant with my brother 1950 they bought the Lucy Desi New moon. We lived in it till I was 12 and a half. It was very very nice. My mom kept the most beautiful house/trailer. My dad was in the Navy and he towed our home up and down the east coast. Wish I knew where it was.

4. I found out the trailer was bought by Irv Perch when he started building the Fold n Roll a trailer that also offered a front wheel. Where it went from there is unknown to me.
    I.B. (Irv) Perch
    Aristocrat
    California
    Class of 1997
    Pioneer RV manufacturer since 1956. Founder of Aristocrat Travel Trailers, American Clipper motorhomes, and Fold n Roll. Invented the fold away “gaucho” bed, RV “potty drawer,” and “lo-liner” garagable travel trailers.

5. The trailer used in the film is the 1953 36-foot Redman “New Moon” model, which sold for $5,345 at the time. The new car used to tow the trailer is a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible with a 125 HP flathead V8 engine.

6. I’ve seen the motion picture The Long, Long Trailer some years back. I don’t understand the music box sounding tone playing a few notes every time the door of the trailer is opened. Was this some sort of novelty that was popular back then in trailers, or it some whimsy sound effect added into the soundtrack of the film?

7. In about 1951/1952 my father bought a 1941 Moon trailer (NOT New Moon). When he bought it it was a shambles because the Masonite exterior was rotted, it had leaked and the frame (fishtail) in the back was rotted. A winter project, he stripped the Masonite, removed the rotted fishtail and re-framed the areas that were damaged. He covered it with flat, thick, heavy aluminum. It had a dinette in front, a small kitchen, a couple of closets and a bed in the rear, probable 16 or 18 feet long: No bathroom. He pulled it with his 1952 Chevy 6. Later he pulled it with his 1955 Chevy 6 station wagon and finally his 1961 Chevy wagon. In several camping events he got prizes for having the oldest trailer in the meet. Sometime around 1965 he sold the trailer and the 1961 Chevy together and got $600 for both.

8. There’s a 52 New Moon for sale in Little Rock, AR. Just check Craigslist. $750.00.

• That’s in Paradise, California (Northern).

• I have a New Moon for sale $4950 – Lancaster MA – Call 978 368 8894

This 1953 New Moon by Redman is a first-year edition, the same make and model trailer as was featured in the classic Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz film The Long Long Trailer. Although originally manufactured with polished aluminum and a yellow stripe, the previous owner (this is a two-owner trailer) painted “Lucy” brown. The paint flakes off upon touch to reveal the shiny aluminum.

Trailer was purchased from manufacturer in 1953 and parked in a trailer park continuously until May 2015 when I purchased it. I installed new wheels and new tires for $800 and had it professionally towed to where it sits in Lancaster, Massachusetts today.

Original louvered windows except one replacement overhead window in bedroom.

Electric wiring is 100% functioning throughout, tested and certified by local electrician. Original circuit breaker panel. Electric heater in bathroom works beautifully. Separate circuit for original water heater under sink. Original propane heater is untested. Water lines under sink need repair due to two broken segments.

Kitchen has metal cabinets and a lazy susan. Propane four-burner stove with original parts, fan and light above stove both work perfectly. Cabinets have been protected with liners so they are clean.

A protective 1970s linoleum tile was removed to reveal relatively scuff-free original tiles. Some pieces of this tile remain at the edges.

Subfloor is solid and sturdy throughout the trailer – no soft spots. Trailer was protected with a skirt for its entire life so there is no rot underneath.

Bedroom is large enough to contain two twin beds, a full bed, or a queen size bed. Some water damage has occurred under the bedroom window as shown. Hallway closet door locks into opposite wall to form bed-and-bath suite.

All original country-themed curtains in dining area and original white curtains in bedroom, plus a set of non-original cream-colored curtains added in living area for better privacy.

One pink tile fell off of kitchen wall during transport and is included in the sale. Several tiles fell off bathroom wall and are also included in the sale.

The smell of a warm birch-walled, birched-ceiling trailer is astounding.

Shingle-and-2×4 roof that was built onto trailer allows it to remain cool and comfortable in summer months. It also has protected the roof against snow buildup. ***Roof can be removed by me, the seller, for additional $200.***

uShip is a great way to have this trailer delivered reasonably.

The following items were used for staging and are not included in the sale: dining room table and two chairs, twin mattress, coat hangers, dark wooden chest of drawers, throw rug, two folding camping chairs, stack of boxes, copper pot.

9. I don’t have on of the trailers yet but I do have something that is probably equivalent. I recently bought a New Moon Mobile Home Sale & Service dealership sign. It is about 6′ long and about 3′ high and 12 ” thick. It is a 2-sided light-up hanging sign with no reference to the actual dealership. I bought it from a RV supply company who used to be a exclusive New Moon Dealer in the 50’s & 60’s in Kansas City. The sign is in remarkable condition and I will eventually get around to restoring it. It is an art deco style sign that would be 1950’s style. How can I post a picture for everyone to enjoy?? -Brian Lawler

10. David Hutchinson

I know the owners of the New Moon you’ve shown here. I haven’t seen them in some time but if I do I’ll ask them if the flooring is original or part of the restoration though I suspect it’s not original.

11. I know the owners of the New Moon in New York that you’ve shown here. I haven’t seen them in some time but if I do I’ll ask them if the flooring is original or from a restoration, I suspect though that it is from the restoration work that was done.

12. I live in a “36” here in the ocala state forest. Great article!

13. When I was in the second grade, my dad and mom moved us from a house to a house trailer. My dad was a “job shopper” for the aerospace industry which necessitated a move to a new location every 6 months to a year. We had a 1952 red and silver New Moon. It was 40 feet long and 8 feet wide and my sister, Mom, Dad and me lived quite comfortably in it for 5 years. We all saw the Long, Long Trailer right after we bought the trailer and just before we were planning on moving – pulling the trailer ourselves. Poor Dad! He was sweating and pale after the movie and could be heard mumbling, “Trailer brakes first!” I wish I could find one now. I really learned that compact spaces are the best teachers of clutter reduction and organization! There was a place for every thing and everything had its own place. If anyone knows where I can get a 40 foot, 8 foot wide 1952 New Moon (red and silver is nice but any color is fine), please contact me.

• I have a New Moon for sale: http://www.tincantourists.com/classified/showproduct.php?product=9712&title=vintage-1953-new-moon-travel-trailer-camper-original-1950s-airstream-tiny-house&cat=8#.VdZqu3vF-ag

Original louvered windows except one replacement overhead window in bedroom.

The smell of a warm birch-walled, birched-ceiling trailer is astounding.

uShip is a great way to have this trailer delivered reasonably.

14. The Redman New Moon name was created when the Redman left the Alma trailer company makers of the Alma SIlver Moon trailers in 39 and started their own company and advertised that their New Moon was superior to a Silver Moon

15. I am Bradley butler of Howard City MI likes the Red man’s new moon trailer I like to buy it and keep it for memory in I Love Lucy collection starring Lucille ball, please keep me updated that I would come to Alma and pick it up and use it for camping on my vacation that I wanted so bad, I’ve been watching that movie was my collection so funny back then at the 50’s model!

16. I am redoing a 1963 17′ cab over style Mobile Scout right now, and have just acquired what I believe to be a 1954 or 55 New moon two bedroom. It has been sitting up for 40 years, but plan on doing it once I get done with this one. Even stayed in it when I was a kid.
    The Mobile Scout has all original hardware in it, and trying to restore as much of it as I can. It has sit on deer leases for the last 20+ years so you can imagine what it was like. Almost the same layout of my 59 Yellowstone, but this one has a shower and original fresh holding tank.
    Just like the feel of the older trailers. Only alteration will bee 12 volt lighting, the rest will be the same. Even going to refinish in the original paint scream putting reproduction decals on it. Not into all the trailer show’s but just love the style of the past, and in many cases prefer them to todays models.

Liked by 1 person

17. We have a 1955 New Moon and lived in it until our daughter was 3. Still on property, just loved it and the coolest thing was that light up handle bar on the outside! 😁

18. Very interesting spark of camping in RV usage in the United States

We have been an original trailer built in Torrance California I’m a flower that was used in some of the setting models and manufacturers for a new purchase of trailers RV store in the film The Long Long Trailer 909 533-7498 information and purchase

19. Does anyone owning the Redman New Moon Trailer as pictured in the Long Long Trailer have the Louvrelite Pinup Lamps mounted on the wall There were four of themmounted in Lucy and Desi’s. They were made in Tipp City, Ohio, of aluminum venetian blind stock by Luster Tile Co. which later became Rajak Mfg Co. This little company sold them to various trail manufacturers around Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. They were very economical and became very popular. We went from 0 to a maximum of 7,000 a week to the many dime stores, tea companies – even the basement of Macy’s in NYC.! How do I know? I did the billing and produced the shipping labels; etc.! The country was flooded with them – my daughter has a Model 310 or 320, and my son has the original 319. Their Dad, Oscar Ross, owned the company!

20. William McNeill

I have what appears to be a 1959 model that I no longer want. It would need new tires. Is there any interest in this?

• What state is it located in?

• David Hutchinson

If you get no takers here there is a Facebook group that I belong to and I’m sure someone there might be interested in it. You’d have to join the group and post some pictures. The group is Vintage Mobile Homes For Sale. Good luck!

• William, if you get no takers here may I suggest you join the Facebook group “Vintage Mobile Homes For Sale 1932-1963”. I’m a member of that group and I’m sure they’d be happy to see what you have to offer and you might get some interests there. You would need to include some pictures of your home in your post. Good luck!

21. I have a 1953 42′ New Moon for sale! $2500.00

Liked by 1 person

• Noel Weller-Woolley

If Betsy Bishop doesn’t want that 1953 New Moon you have for sale, I would VERY much be interested in pursuing it. If she does take it, can you please put me in touch with anyone who may have another one? Where may I see some pictures of the New Moon you have?

22. I grew up in a 1949 New Moon on the beach in California. What a blessed childhood! I would LOVE to have a New Moon today. I even have a place to put it!

Liked by 1 person

23. I have the movie live it and love the trailer.

Liked by 1 person

24. I bought a ’53! How can I find out more about it with regard to the serial number?

25. How do I repair the front window?

26. We have a 1945 Liberty special deluxe. The original owners cut out the front area and attached to a cabin, we would like to get rid of it but we are having a hard time finding anyone to take it. It’s 32 feet long and it has original woodwork in awesome condition. Do you know of anyone in the Bloomington Indiana area who would like it? It’s for free. The axels are not locked up and there are tires on it.